LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison has apologised for the vaccine rollout not meeting its targets.
* NSW recorded 124 new local COVID-19 cases, the highest since the outbreak began. At least 70 were active in the community for all or part of their infectious period.
* Three workers in two Sydney aged care facilities at Kirrawee and Belrose, and five people in a group home at Parklea, tested positive.
* Premier Gladys Berejiklian advised NSW residents to brace for numbers to go even higher.
* Victoria recorded its highest daily total of the current outbreak with 26 new local cases. Twenty-four were in quarantine throughout their infectious period.
* The Victorian government announced that people experiencing homelessness and disadvantage will be able to get vaccinated at pop-up clinics across Melbourne.
* Queensland will shut its border to all of NSW for four weeks from 1am on Friday. A border bubble zone will be set up.
* WA will close its border with South Australia from midday on Thursday.
* Premier Steven Marshall said South Australia may have avoided a longer lockdown by shutting down early, as the state recorded two new locally acquired infections. The outbreak is now at 14.
* An expansion in the number of pharmacies administering AstraZeneca jabs will be brought forward from September to mid-August, Mr Morrison announced.
* Australia will take a cautious approach to approving vaccinations for children, Mr Morrison said.
* Two people - a 38-year-old Victorian woman and a 44-year-old Tasmanian man - were confirmed to have died of an extremely rare blood clotting condition connected to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
* The AFL Players' Association backed the league's call to push on with the season despite lockdowns in three capital cities.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 10,654,563 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Tuesday, including 184,530 in the previous 24 hours.
* Those figures are made up of 7,548,111 first doses (36.61 per cent of Australians 16 and over) and 3,089,644 second doses (14.98 per cent).
* Of the total, 6,016,786 have been administered by the Commonwealth, including 107,000 in the previous 24 hours.
* 4,637,777 have been administered by the states and territories, including 77,530 in the previous 24 hours.
* 1,453,158 have been administered in Victoria (+21,533), 1,258,864 in NSW (+23,549), 814,416 in Queensland (+12,814), 428,564 in Western Australia (+8585), 337,651 in South Australia (+6048), 146,739 in Tasmania (+1510), 116,492 in the ACT (+2206) and 81,893 in the NT (+1285).
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 157 local cases on Tuesday: 124 in NSW, 26 in Victoria and seven in SA.
* There were three new overseas-acquired cases in hotel quarantine: two in Victoria and one in SA.
* The national death toll is 915: Victoria 820, NSW 61, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3 (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 192,008,050.
* Deaths: at least 4,127,109.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 3,715,838,051.
Data current as at 1800 AEST on July 22, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press