A number of serving members of the Special Air Service Regiment have been asked to show why they should not be sacked following the release of a damning report into alleged war crimes committed in Afghanistan.
A four-year investigation by Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force, Justice Paul Brereton, uncovered credible evidence of 39 unlawful killings and two cases of torture by Australian troops in Afghanistan.
The ABC reported on Thursday at least 10 members of the SAS's second and third squadrons are subject to the "administrative action".
But they are not considered to be among the 19 personnel who Justice Brereton recommended be referred to the Australian Federal Police.
"Defence can confirm it has initiated administrative action against a number of serving Australian Defence Force personnel in accordance with legislation and Defence policy," a Defence spokesman told the ABC.
"As the Chief of the Defence Force said publicly last week, findings by the (Brereton inquiry) ... of alleged negligence by individuals in the performance of their duties have been accepted by the CDF, and allegations will be managed through the ADF's administrative and disciplinary processes."
They have been given 14 days to respond to the action.
Second squadron was disbanded following the release of the Brereton report.
Australian Associated Press