EVEN though this was a long weekend there did not seem to be much happening. Of course I could say, when does anything much happen here?
It is freezing cold this morning so I very much doubt if there will be much activity today, unless it is around a huge bonfire.
Fortunately the last two days were perfect for golf and bowls. However the pleasant day attracted only eight bowlers for the scheduled social bowls event. Ken Allen was persuaded to make an even number and he combined with Helen Spackman (from Yass but who may join here as well) to win the small trophies. Monica Field was also persuaded to have a game and maybe she will become a regular bowler also.
The new NSWWBA constitution states that in future patrons of the ladies bowls club may not be a bowler and may not be a non-playing member. The answer to my query to the officials was: “The definition of a patron is a person chosen, named or honoured as a special guardian, protector, supporter or benefactor of a person, organisation or cause”.
Really weird, most players think. If they are not a bowler or a non-playing member, my query is who is left? Maybe it may be clarified in the fullness of time.
Twenty eight golfers lined up for the nine holes novelty day on Sunday. That seems to prove that many of the players do prefer the shorter game. Ethel Lee (who organised the day) won the ladies’ handicap event as well as the nearest the pin trophy.
Lexie Woodbridge won the putting trophy on a toss of the coin with 11 putts. Renae Lay, a new player, won the mystery trophy. Craig Watson won the men’s handicap event and also the nearest the pin (on a toss).
Chris Glover won the nearest to the string. It was great to see three Glover boys, Paul, Chris and Thomas, playing here again. Ian Fraser won the mystery event and Wesley Turton; a very new player claimed the Bradman prize. If he continues to play he won’t win too many Bradman’s.
A quote from Grantland Rice says: “Golf is 20 per cent mechanics and technique. The other 80 per cent is philosophy, humour (- only when someone else comes unstuck - my quote) tragedy, romance, melodrama companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation”
Next Saturday the ladies will play nine holes for Cora Fairall’s trophy while the men will play for Kevin Spencer’s trophy.
Sunday Susie and Adam McGeachie will donate the trophies for and American Foursome. This is liable to be altered as lately there are seldom enough players to play a foursome.
The Spencer clan had a big reunion at the weekend with patriarch Charlie enjoying the company of daughter Melissa and her two boys and their friends from Springdale and Edwin and Penny with children Amy and little Charlie and their friends from Sydney.
Of course Mark and family are locals. The city kids just love their weekends in Binalong.
Also in town for the weekend were Ross and Jenny Glover and daughter Maddison and her friend Toby from Sydney.
School news is quite brief this week too. Last week Miss Cooper and Mrs Jackson attended the Small and Isolated Schools Project Meeting at the Wallendbeen School.
The skills obtained there will benefit the infants children in their reading as the project is designed around the principles of reading recovery
Miss Megan Darby and Miss Jessica Musgrave will attend the school for a few days in week nine of the term as part of the “Beyond the Line” program ,which give student teachers from the city some experience of country life and teaching.
All members of the staff attended a training session at Wombat school to discuss a recently completed survey that should assist teachers to understand how information is processed and to understand thinking processes.
Sheets to be filled in for student’s absences were sent home last week.
A great quote from an unknown seven-year-old: “If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend you hate.” And another little person said: “When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.“
Until next time